What is content marketing?
Content marketing is the strategic development and distribution of valuable, relevant and timely content to a target audience for the purposes brand awareness, positioning and lead generation.
It is the activity of publishing content to prove that you know what you’re talking about, are worth connecting with, and might just be worth buying from.
Content marketing for gyms
Content marketing is one of the best ways for gyms to get their message out to their market. Through the planned distribution of content that your audience wants to digest you can increase the awareness of your brand, position yourself as an authority in your field, and develop trust and rapport with those who you want to do business with.
Not many gyms undertake content marketing and that means you’ve got a huge opportunity right here.
The biggest barrier to getting involved in content marketing is the misconception that you don’t have anything to say. Sure you do.
To determine what you can create, ask yourself:
- What are I passionate about?
- What do I like talking about?
- What do my clients like to learn about?
- What can I help others better understand?
Content marketing channels
Here are some of the ways that you can get your content out to your target market:
- Video – tutorials, interviews, tours
- Audio – podcasts, audiobooks, case studies
- Text – blogs, article directories, e-zines, e-books, newsletters.
- Webinars – Host online seminars or Q&A sessions
- Slideshows – Powerpoint and Keynote presentations
Some ideas to help you
Here are a few types of content you might create:
- A video series showing the correct execution of an exercise
- A monthly newsletter covering your specific area of expertise
- A podcast interviewing experts in your field
Just find the medium that you like to work in. And go for it.
The internet makes it very easy to get your message out. After you’ve created your content, and uploaded it, and shared it, there’s one more extremely powerful step that you should take.
Your content has the capacity to saturate the market. You can be everywhere very quickly if you play your cards right.
Content syndication is the activity of distributing your content far and wide in various formats so that it gets in front of as many people as possible. Of course, we are not talking about SPAM. We’re talking about distributing your content across numerous platforms and targeting your market.
You can covert your content into numerous formats. Video can be converted to audio, audio can be transcribed to text, text can be recorded as audio, audio can be made into video.
You can do the work once and then convert it into any form you want. Or you can pay someone else to do it for you.
Why bother? That one burst of inspiration once repurposed will get in front of exponentially more people. And remember, some people like to read, others like to listen, amd some like to watch.
Some distribution platforms
Here is a list of platforms you can use to distribute your content:
And you can always use social media and your own website.
On social media
If you are utilising social media, consider these five platforms:
- Facebook – best for social interaction
- Twitter – best for links
- Pinterest – best for visual shares
- Instagram – best for photos
- Periscope – a new app for live video broadcasts
Why you should be content marketing
- It’s cheap – you don’t have to pay to get your content out there. Sure you might decide to buy premium accounts on some platforms or pay people to help you out but it’s not like paying for advertising
- It’s persistent – once you publish your content and syndicate it, it’s out there for good. You’ll get pay off well down the track for all the work you put in now.
- It positions you – not many gyms are using content marketing and people are hungry for good content. Put yourself out there and position yourself as an expert. The greater the perception of your expertise the more you can charge.
If you are serious about getting into content marketing, here are some great resources:
Content marketing should definitely form part of your greater marketing strategy. It is a medium to long term strategy that will continue to pay off long into the future. Done properly content marketing will position you as an expert and help pre-qualify leads meaning you will be able to close more sales, fill your gym, and help more people get fit and healthy.